User: Adams House Hotel
Date of butterpat: early 1900s
Notes: The Adams House Hotel was built in 1883 at 555 Washington St. in Boston, Mass., replacing the first Adams House Hotel which opened in 1846 on the site of the former Lamb Tavern – mentioned in Boston history as early as 1746. In 1889, the Kings Hand-Book of Boston described the Adams House as one of the finest and best equipped hotels in the city, of which its dining-rooms and café are conspicuous features.
By the early part of the 20th century, however, the Adams House began to show its age and became a favorite for local politicians and businessmen looking for cheap long-term lodging.
Calvin Coolidge, who was known for his frugality, took a room at the Adams House for $1 per day when he was elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1906. In an unusual display of extravagance, he expanded his digs at the Adams House to a two-room suite with a bath on the third floor for $3.50 a day after being elected governor in 1919.
Coolidge was at the Adams House when he received the telephone call about his nomination as Warren G. Hardings vice presidential running mate in 1920.
The Adams House was closed in 1927 and demolished in 1931.
White body with a green floral and vine trim; the topmark is a shield containing three battle axes with a horse head facing left on top and a curved banner below with "Vis Veritatis Magna" (loosely translated "Great is the Truth").
ID and RW Photos contributed by floralady
HRB Ad contributed by dmcgrann