Manufacturer: Carr China Company
User: Andrews Methodist Church – Grafton, West Virginia
Date of plate: Unknown
Notes: Anna M. Jarvis campaigned for the creation of an official Mother's Day in 1908 to honor her mother and as an ongoing hope for peace. She made her request of the superintendent of the Andrews Methodist Church in Grafton, and the first Mother's Day observance was held May 10, 1908, at what was her mother's church.
By 1914, Mother's Day became a national observance. The church is now the site, since 1962, of the International Mother's Day Shrine.
Click here to read about the tradition of Mother's Day throughout the world at the Mother's Day Central website.
In looking at the backstamp for the plate, the monogram GWS is apparent in the dingbat below Grafton, W. Va. The initials stand for George William Staton, a Carr designer and engraver. See also the plates for the Phillipi Covered Bridge and the Tygart Dam.
The black is by far the most well-known color that the plates were made in, but apparently there are some made in brown, and this new addition in blue (above) from the Fred and Opal McCartney collection.
Content by: Susan and Ed Phillips