Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Atlantic City Country Club
Distributor: W.C. Ayres Co. Inc., Philadelphia, PA
Date of cup: circa 1925 – 1932
Notes: In 1897, a group of Atlantic City hotel operators incorporated the Atlantic City Country Club, located in Northfield, New Jersey, just six miles west of Atlantic City.
In the early club years, the trolley was the main mode of travel to and from the country club before the advent of the automobile. Up until January 1948, club golfers were notified of the approach of the last trolley of the day, by the countinuous clang of the trolley bell. In tribute, there is a trolley bell hanging at the club's door entrance.
As the game of golf gained in popularity, the Atlantic City Country Club expanded. The legendary Willie Park, Jr., two-time British Open champion, came to Atlantic City in 1921. He redesigned the golf course and added an additional nine holes, bringing the total to 27 holes. Park also laid out the Ocean City-Somers Point golf course (now known as Greate Bay). In later years, golf course architects Toomey and Flynn redesigned other aspects of the golf course.
In 1903, the common golf term "birdie" for one stroke under par was coined at the Atlantic City Country Club.
In 1944, Sonny Fraser purchased the club through a syndicate with plans to build a horse racing track. At that time, Sonny was an assistant to New Jersey State legislator Farley, who got the race track bill passed. In attempt to block the syndicated efforts, Florida Senator Frank Smathers complained that the New Jersey race tracks would compete with the tracks in Florida, and pointed out that there were illegal slot machines in the Atlantic City Country Club clubhouse. Rather than get rid of the slot machines, Sonny and company sold the Atlantic City Country Club to his brother Leo.
In 1998, the club was sold to Bally-Hilton Hotels and Casinos, and today (2013), it is a public course owned by Caesars Entertainment.
Lamberton white body demi cup with multicolored Edithmar border pattern, featuring an ornamental band in hues of blue and brown, broken by a fruit-filled compote.
Distributor W. C. Ayres Co. originally was located at 1929 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. The distributor later operated at Delaware and Bainbridge streets from early 1924 through late 1932. Listed in the 1930 Donnelley's Industrial Directory, the company distributed china produced by Scammell, Syracuse, Black Knight (1927), Caribe and Hutschenreuther. Keywords: rwcnCCAC rwcnACCC CCAC ACCC
For related info:
Larry R. Paul
Wikipedia: Atlantic City Country Club
Kelly's Golf History: Atlantic City Country Club – Historical Synopsis
ID contributed by apPaul
Demi Cup photos contributed by michiganer
Distributor information contributed Larry R. Paul
Postcard image contributed by cardcow.com