Manufacturer: Iroquois China
User: Carpenter Hotel
Date of service plate: Pre-1917
Notes: The Carpenter Hotel, located at 219 South Phillips St., in Sioux Falls, S.D., was built by Dodge & Crocker for $250,000. The six-story, 150-room hotel opened Nov. 1, 1912.
The Carpenter was part of the Eppley chain for many years. By 1957 it became the Sheraton Carpenter Hotel. And according to the book "Sioux Falls," by 1962 it was remodeled to be a tourist-class Sherwyn hotel. The building became a college dormitory in the 1970s and was allowed to fall into disrepair and decay throughout the 1980s and 90s. It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
In 2006, the structure was renovated with apartments on the upper floors and commercial spaces on the ground floor.
Greetings from Sioux Falls
The 10.25-inch service plate has a band and lines of light orange on the rim rim with rust beaded swags and pendants. The logo is an oval with waterfall surrounded by wheat tassels, framed with laurel leaves, with Hotel Carpenter Sioux Falls S.D.
ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware