Manufacturer: Fraunfelter China, Walker China, Shenango China
User: Chicago Club
Distributor of Fraunfleter platter: Marshall Field & Company – Chicago
Date of Fraunfelter platter: 1928
Date of Walker relish tray: 1942-54
Date of Shenango saucer: 1951
Notes: From the Wikipedia, the Chicago Club was "founded in 1869, is a private social club located at 81 East Van Buren Street at Michigan Avenue in the Loop neighborhood of Chicago. … Its membership has included many of Chicago's most prominent businessmen, politicians, and families.
"In 1893, the club decided it needed larger quarters, and it purchased from the Art Institute of Chicago its former building on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Van Buren Street. This building was put up in 1886-1887 and was designed by Burnham and Root to be the first home of the Institute, which moved across the street to its current location in 1892. This building remained the clubhouse until the 1920s, when it collapsed during remodeling.
"To replace it, Granger and Bollenbacher designed an eight-story granite building in the Romanesque Revival style, which was completed in 1929. During construction, Burnham & Root's triple-arched entrance was moved around the corner from Michigan Avenue to Van Buren Street, where it remains the main entrance to the building, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005, and continues as the club's headquarters today ." This china would have been ordered for this iteration of the club's headquarters.
The first china in this series featuring Chicago landmarks would be Fraunfelter's, with a Rococo border of flourishes surrounding the center-of-the-well scene. This would have been followed by Walker and then Shenango. Those manufacturers featured a different border of oak leaves and acorns surrounding the center-of-the-well motif. All decorations are in gray scale.
The known scenes include: Chamber of Commerce, Chicago University 1859, Court House Square 1853, Fort Dearborn 1837-57, Kinzie Mansion 1833, and Park Row 1860.
Platter photos contributed by Ed Babcock