Manufacturers: Warwick China and Mayer China
User: Clemson House – Clemson, South Carolina
Date of egg cup: 1950
Date of bowl: 1959
Notes: From Wikipedia: "Clemson House was built in 1950 by Daniel Construction Company of Greenville, owned and directed by Charles Daniel. Clemson House was designed by William G. Lyles and the firm of Bissett, Carlisle and Wolf Architects. It was opened on November 1, 1950. The hotel was constructed on a hill overlooking Clemson University's campus. The site of the former building is located across from Bowman Field and in close proximity to the Clemson University of Visitor and Alumni Center. The historic Tillman Hall and Memorial Stadium were visible from the front facing rooms of the structure. On clear days the Blue Ridge Mountains can be seen in the distance from the location.
"The Clemson House was known as 'Carolina's smartest hotel.' The hotel featured a large open lounge, the restaurant named 'The Saber Room,' and a non-alcohol-selling club, 'Tiger Tavern.' A 1957 advertisement for Clemson House claimed, 'The Clemson House represents the absolute ultimate in modern cuisine … Renowned throughout the Southeast for its fine food and incomparable hospitality.' Upon its initial opening, the Clemson House served as a place for students to hang out. It was deemed as 'one of the better hangouts' as students would enjoy Tiger Tavern downstairs or play card games in the open lounge.
"Clemson House held seven floors of rooms and apartments and a three-bedroom penthouse. It also had a variety of multi-purpose rooms for meetings and conferences, rented by the university. A barber shop, laundry room, and workout room provided additional services to students, faculty, and guests of the university.
"Due to its age, the building had fallen out of compliance with various codes and was deemed too expensive to retrofit. Workers began disassembling the interior in 2016. The neon sign was taken down July 2017. The structure was demolished by controlled implosion on December 3, 2017."
White body bowl with a brown band around the inner wall. The band is broken at the top of the bowl with the placement of stylized block letters "C H" in a matching brown.
Bowl photos: Nancy O'Grady
Egg cup photos and ID: Steven Koska
Author: Ed Phillips