Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Detroit & Cleveland Line (D&C)
Pattern: Greater Detroit (D&C-2)
Distributor: H.F. Osborne Co., Detroit, Michigan
Date of platter: 1923
Notes: Originating in 1849, the Detroit & Cleveland Line was known as "The Grand Fleet of the Great Lakes." The D&C main route lay diagonally across the lake where railroad tracks could never run parallel. Its primary routes were between Detroit, MI and Cleveland, OH, and other routes lead to Buffalo, NY. Charters and day-trips were also offered. Most scheduled sailings were overnight sailings, landing in the morning after departure.
In 1949, the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Company had seven ships in operation. The fleet consisted of massive, multi-funneled, tall-stemmed, steel-hulled sidewheelers, complete with grand salons and galleried dining rooms. The company's name was familiar in states throughout the lower Great Lakes region for nearly a century until its cessation in 1950. The D&C logo was widely seen in newspaper advertisements and billboards of the time.
Lamberton China white body with dark blue, double pinline border. Topmarked with the "D&C" logo – joined script letters "D" and "C" centered on an ampersand.
For related info:
Detroit & Cleveland Line (D&C) by Scammell China