Manufacturer: Mayer China
User: Fettrow Village
Rim pattern: Cedric
Date of plate: April-June 1960
Notes: Located in London, Ohio at the junction of U.S. Routes 40 and 42, Fettrow's Grill opened July 1, 1933 as a combination restaurant and Gulf gas station.
From the original grill and filling station on a single acre of land, it eventually expanded to 44 acres, including "a motel, trucker's dorm, a Lubritorium, a garage, the restaurant, and not one but two filling stations. Paul and Helen [his wife] changed the name of their endeavor from Fettrow's Grill to Fettrow Village."
Eventually Interstate 70 bypassed them, however, and the Fettrows moved to Florida in 1968, leaving their son to operate it. He sold it in 1970 and the grill eventually housed a nightclub and bar. All that stands (in 2008) is the motel, the R&R.
Source: Will Anderson's "Where Have You Gone, Starlight Café."
White body with red floral bud rim border and green line verge border; topmarked offcenter left – Fettrow Village – with the phrase "HOST TO A MOTORING NATION" beneath in green.
For related info:
Photos submitted by kathleen