Manufacturer: Carr China Company
User: Flo-Jean Restaurant and Toll House Bar
Date of grill plate: circa 1934 – 1952
Notes: In 1929, Harold Dalrymple, an executive with the General Motors Corporation, built Flo-Jean's El Patio Tea Shop for his wife Florence, who operated it until the late 1970s with her sister Jean – thus the name Flo-Jean.
A portion of the restaurant building had once served as a toll house for a suspension bridge that spanned the Delaware River at Port Jervis, New York.
In the 1980s, the family of Lynn Wallace Gallo bought Flo-Jean after it had been closed for five years. After major repairs – including a new roof – Gallo operated it until the winter of 2008.
Over the years, Flo-Jean's had many noted visitors, including Babe Ruth, Thomas E. Dewey, Bing Crosby, James Cagney, and several New York State governors.
An auction of memorabilia from Flo-Jean was held in September 2015 and included vintage dolls, wooden carousel horses, Tiffany lamps, restaurant furniture and equipment (including this plate), menus, uniforms and the restaurant's antique toll house sign. It is expected that the building will be demolished by the City of Port Jervis within the next year.
Content: Susan and Ed Phillips