Manufacturer: Carr China
User: Forstmann & Huffmann – F. & H.
Distributor: L. Barth & Son, New York
Date of bowl: estimate between 1916 (when Carr opened) and before 1926 (when Barth merged with Albert Pick)
Notes: From an article in the Nov. 29, 1911, issue of the New York Tribune, "The Forstmann & Huffmann Company, Passaic, N.J., was founded in 1904, with a capital of $750,000 by and under the personal direction of [president] Julius Forstmann …" The company's goal was "to manufacture in America woolens as fine in quality as any produced in European mills." By 1908, an additional plant was added in Garfield, N.J.
Roots for the company went back to 1803 in Werden-on-the-Ruhr, Germany, and the founding of the original Forstmann & Huffman. As of Dec. 1, 1931, (from an article in Passaic's The Morning Call), the company named changed to the Forstmann Woolen Co., with no associated change in ownership. It seems that despite the inclusion of the Huffmann name in the United States originally, the company here was always owned entirely by Forstmann and his family.
A 1929 story in Hackensack, N.J.'s The Record mentions a "card party and social" at the "F. & H. Cafeteria of the Garfield plant … for "about one hundred and fifty members and friends." Presumably, that's where the company's china was used.
White-bodied bowl with F.&H. between asterisks in black, contained inside an oval with two thin black lines.
New York Tribune
The Morning Call, Passaic, N.J.
The Record, Hackensack, N.J.
Passaic Daily Herald
ID and research: Roland Burritt
China photos: Susan Phillips