Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Fort Harrison Hotel
Date of service plate: 1928 – 1930
Note: Located at 210 S. Fort Harrison Avenue in Clearwater, FL, this 11-floor, 250-room hotel opened in 1926 at a cost of $5,000,000. The Fort Harrison was Clearwater's first skyscraper with the Crystal Ballroom on the top floor and the main dining room on the 10th floor.
US Patent D68994 for the plate border design was issued on December 8, 1925.
From 1955 the hotel was part of the Jack Tar Hotel Corporation. In 1975, the hotel was purchased by the Church of Scientology and in the 1980s the building was restored.
Lamberton China white body with stock pattern rim treatment of baskets of fruit and swirls in shades of blue and brown. Image of building in well of plate reading The Fort Harrison, Clearwater, Fla. below. Plate was furnished by Maas Brothers, Tampa, Florida which was founded in 1886.
For additional information:
ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware