Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Hamilton – Washington D.C.
Date of egg cup: 1922
Notes: The 11-story, 310-room Hotel Hamilton opened December 1922. It had a 400-seat main dining room, three 60-seat private dining rooms, and a 170-seat ballroom. It continues to operate in 2022.
The Hamilton Hotel Corporation ordered crested Maddock Lamberton China for use in the dining rooms and the guest bedrooms. The crest is an upper case "H" within a frame, with a crown on top. The transfer border was designed by Charles A. May in 1922. It was patented March 13, 1923 (Des 62,090), and the pattern was ordered by many customers.
A fragment of this "H" crested pattern was found in a 1920s Potomac River dumpsite.
D. William Scammell's circa 1923-25 New England contact book contains the details of an order of this china, which includes items ordered for bedrooms. The known surviving examples of this pattern were made by Maddock, but Scammell may have produced reorders.
Hamilton Hotel website
Author and photos: Larry Paul