Manufacturer: Mayer China
User: The Honker
Date of cup: 1959
Notes: There were three known California locations in Los Angeles, Pasadena and La Jolla. Popular in the 1950s and 1960s, The Honker restaurants were originally co-owned by prominent San Marino attorney Calvin L. Helgoe and Eugene "Gene" Ronay. In 1964, Helgoe sold his share to Pasadenan Lud Renick, who joined Gene Ronay in partnership.
In 1950, the original restaurant opened in Pasadena at 897 Granite Drive and the Los Angeles restaurant opened later in Park La Brea. Ten years after the original restaurant opened, The Honker in La Jolla opened on October 12, 1960. The new restaurant, located at 7590 Girard Avenue, was given the prestigious Cordon Bleu "Dinner of the Year" award by the Wine and Food Society in 1962. From newspaper accounts, The Honker in Pasadena was sold in the early 1970s.
White body with a wide yellow band of color and a black line border. Topmarked on the inside of the cup "The Honker" in black letters beneath a flying Canada goose.
ID contributed by leontiev