Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Houston Country Club
Date of platter: 1924
Notes: Organized in 1908, the Houston Country Club opened its first facility in 1909, which included a tennis court, a large clubhouse with apartments and a full-service kitchen. At a time when 9-hole golf courses were more commonplace, the Houston Country Club opened its 18-hole golf course along Brays Bayou – southeast of downtown Houston. It is the oldest 18-hole golf course in Texas, receiving continuous play for 100 years.
In 1957, the Houston Country Club relocated to the Tanglewood subdivision of Houston. The old course became the Houston Executive Club until 1972, when the City of Houston purchased the facility and renamed it in honor of Houston Country Club member and insurance magnate Gus Wortham. As of 2008, the Houston Parks & Recreation Department in collaboration with the Houston Parks Board are planning to renovate the Gus Wortham Park Golf Course to meet USGA standards and add new facilities. (Source: Houston Parks Board)
White body with the Ardmore floral and geometric design border in dark blue and light orange. Topmarked "HCC" in dark blue.
For related info: Ardmore