Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Hotel Jeffery – Salinas, California
Date of plate: 1940
The Hotel Jeffery in Salinas, California, at the corner of Alisal and Main Streets was constructed in 1887 and opened on New Year's Day in 1888. At the time the location was ridiculed by the public because it was quite a distance from the train station. However, James Jeffery, the owner, had glimpsed the future of Salinas, and his "boondoggle" venture proved to be very successful.
In 1915, James Jeffery's son William (Bill) took over the operation of the hotel along with his wife and family. Around 1928, he added a seven-story tower of rooms to the hotel, making it at the time the tallest building in Salinas. In 1940, he built a new dining room at the hotel adjoining the existing private dining room in the hotel's patio.
The Jeffery Hotel was a popular destination for visitors attending the annual California Rodeo in Salinas which started in 1911 and continues today.
In 1946, Bill's two sons Charles W. and James A. Jeffery took over the management of the hotel and tap room with Charles serving as the resident manager. At the same time, they subleased the hotel coffee shop to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Lundin.
The Jeffery family continued to serve visitors to Salinas and the Valley until the Jeffery Hotel closed its doors on March 1, 1966. The building was demolished later that same year.
Tan body Econo-Rim plate with a red stripe at the verge. At the top of the plate under the stripe and spilling down the verge into the well is the hotel's logo: "Hotel Jeffery" in red block letters curving over the drawing of a red, smiling dog (named Jack, by the way) looking at a pigeon or bird sitting on its back. Under the drawing is the word "Friendly" in a red script font.
The Californian – July 15, 1946 – article about sons taking over management
The Californian – August 22, 1946 – ad announcing new management of the coffee shop
ID, plate photos, and initial research: Emily Bostwick
Additional research: Roland Burritt
Author: Ed Phillips