Manufacturer: Fraunfelter China
User: Joost's Quality Coffee – San Francisco, California
Date of plate: mid-1920s to 1930s
Notes: From research supplied by member Tim Dennee: "Rudolph Joost was a clerk for Castle Brothers, San Francisco coffee importers, in 1907, when he and his younger brother, Harry, decided to open their own coffee and tea shop at 2008 O'Farrell Street. 'Rudolph Joost & Brother' took on another, likely silent, partner, Norbert E. Lloyd, in 1908. The following year, 'Joost, Lloyd & Joost' moved to 1346 Fillmore Street, where they also roasted peanuts. By the end of 1911, Lloyd had departed, and the firm became 'Joost Brothers' (not to be confused with the hardware company).
"The store moved again, to 1427 Fillmore, in 1913. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the developers of a new market, the Fillmore Food Palace, recruited 'some of the most prominent merchants in the city,' including Joost Brothers, to operate stalls – indicating that they did a retail business – but it looks like they stayed put until 1930.
"Although the Great Depression closed many businesses, there was always demand for coffee. The business appears to have thrived, moving to two locations, 2626 Mission Street and 1555 Fillmore.
"By the end of 1935, the Mission Street store was recorded as No. 2698, possibly a result of redevelopment or street renumbering. In any case, that location closed by the end of 1937.
"Coffee roasters Rudolph and Harry Joost gave up the business shortly after World War II, selling lock, stock, barrel and good will to Harry Fetterman and Arthur N. Dunn by 1948. Fetterman carried on the familiar 'Joost's Coffee' shop from 1949 until 1952.
"Vernon R. Doyle purchased the business and wholesaled 'Joost Brothers Coffee, Tea and Spices' until 1967."
White body vitrified plate with a fairly wide green line on the outer edge of the rim and a thin green line directly below the wide line. At the top of the verge is another thin green line. At the top of the plate, between these two thin green lines are the words "Joost's Quality Coffee" in a green script font.
Plate photos: Edward Babcock
Research and history: Tim Dennee
Advertisement: Roland Burritt
Coffee can photo: Colleen Mary
Author: Ed Phillips