Manufacturer: Scammell China
Name of user: Maldaner's Restaurant, Springfield, Illinois
Distributor: Albert Pick & Co.
Date of example: circa 1924
Notes: John Maldaner (1852-1924) moved to Springfield from Milwaukee with his widowed mother and three siblings in 1866. He was 14, but got a job in a confectionery store where he worked from 6 a.m. until closing at 9 p.m. When he was 15, he got a job as pastry cook in the Leland Hotel.
On June 18,1884, 32-year-old Maldaner opened his own confectionery shop on South Sixth Street. Two years later, Charles Frank became his business partner. The partnership lasted until 1892, when he moved his candy, pastry, and catering operation to Monroe Street.
On May 16, 1896, Maldaner opened his new ice cream parlor at 222 S. Sixth St. His son, Charles, joined the business in 1902. Around 1910, they began to transition from an ice cream parlor to a full restaurant.
Walter Taber (1888-1971) began working at Maldaner's in 1907. He became a minor partner in 1919 and became the full owner in 1934. The second-floor dining room opened in 1977. Michael Higgins took over management in 1982. In 2009, Maldaner's celebrated its 125th year of operation. As of 2025, Maldaner's Restaurant continues to serve meals.
Scammell made Lamberton China crested with a shield containing "Maldaner's" in script lettering with a return swash. A bowl of fruit sits atop the shield, with cascading rose vines. Two lines flank the crest. The only known surviving piece of this china is this ice cream shell that was supplied by Albert Pick & Company.
Sources:
Sangamon County Historical Society – history of restaurant
State Journal-Register website – 2010 125th anniversary article
Illinois Times – May 16, 1991 ad
Contributor:
Larry Paul: author
