Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Manhattan – New York City
Date of examples: circa 1903-1920
Notes: The 15-story Manhattan Hotel opened October 14, 1896, on the corner of Madison Avenue and 42nd Street in New York City. In May of 1899, construction began on a 15-story, $750,00 addition, which was completed in 1901. The addition gave the hotel a total of 700 rooms, with 450 private, or shared, baths. The Louis XVI-style main dining room had a balcony used by an orchestra that performed during meals. The gentlemen's cafe was decorated with murals above the paneled wainscoting. The Dutch beer room was in the basement.
Hawk and Weatherbee were the original operators of the Manhattan. In May 1916, the hotel was sold and then leased to John McE. Bowman. On June 30, 1920, the Manhattan closed and was converted into an office building. It was torn down in 1964.
Charles A. May, president of Maddock Pottery, created a stylized flower and scroll transfer border for the Manhattan Hotel. It was patented June 9, 1903, (Des. 36,353) and appears in the Maddock pattern sample book as "#123 Manhattan."
This pattern is crested with an ornate "MH" monogram. Some pieces in this service have coin gold pin lines and details applied to the molded ornaments. The August 15, 1903, issue of the Trenton Times reported that the first part of this $15,000 china service for the Manhattan had to be completed by September 1903.
In July 1920, following the closure of the hotel, the entire contents including china and glassware was sold from the hotel.
For additional info:
Manhattan Hotel 2 by Maddock Pottery
Author and photos: Larry Paul