Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Millikin University
Date of sample plate: Circa 1907
Notes: Millikin University is located at 1184 W. Main St., in Decatur, Ill. It was chartered in April 1901, with a gift from prominent Decatur businessman, banker and cattle rancher, James Millikin (1827-1909). It opened Sept. 15, 1903.
The five-story Women's Hall (Aston Hall) opened in September 1907 with a dining hall in the basement. The present Millikin University logo, a triangle within a circle, bears no resemblance to the monogram on the china, but blue and white are still the university's colors. Note that "Milliken" is misspelled on the sample plate, that is located at Fishs Eddy in New York.
The plate is crested with an interlocking upper case JMU monogram in blue transfer. Two blue pin lines with curled ends are flanking the logo, mid rim. Syracuse production sample #7981.
ID contributed by L Paul
Photos contributed by Babcock