Manufacturer: Taylor, Smith & Taylor China
User: D.L. Clark Candy Company
Date of platter: 1904
Notes: According to a newspaper article from the Tyrone Daily Herald in Tyrone, Pennsylvania, the D.L. Clark Candy Company opened its new multi-storied building in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, in 1904. The first floor of the building housed a soda fountain, candy cases, and a cigar stand in the front and a 100-person restaurant in the rear. On the sixth floor of the building, roughly 100 employees (mostly girls) made and boxed Zig-Zag, a new confection invented by Mr. Harry L. Camp, who was a Tyrone native.
From Wikipedia "David Lytle Clark (26 September 1864 – 3 February 1939) was an Irish entrepreneur who founded the D. L. Clark Company confectioners in 1886 in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, now part of Pittsburgh … He began making candy in a one-room location in Allegheny City at the age of 19, and later expanded into making gum when learning in 1886 of a new approach using chicle. Then he would use bright food coloring and flavor it with extracts of woodland leaves he had chewed as a boy. He is best known for his creation of the D. L. Clark Company, a confectionary, and for creating some of its best known products, including the Clark bar and the Zagnut, as well as for its spinoff, the Clark Chewing Gum Company with its Clark's Teaberry gum." Modern Confections, as shown on the platter, appears to have been a trademarked tag line for Clark products.
For more info from Brookline Connection, click here.
White body platter with the Modern Confections – D.L.C. Co. logo placed on the top rim in a dark navy blue. The D.L.C. Co. is in a center oval with the word Modern over the oval and the word Confections under the oval. Modern and Confections are contained within a larger stylized dark navy oval surrounding the center white oval.
Photos contributed by Ed Babcock
ID contributed by Kathleen Lathom and Roland Burritt
Newspaper article and other information contributed by Roland Burritt