Manufacturer: Bauscher Brothers
User: Moraine Hotel
Distributor: Arthur Schiller and Son, Chicago
Date of plate: 1927
Notes: According to the Park District of Highland Park news site: "In 1892 the Hotel Moraine first opened its door to guests on a 15-acre lake front site. The hotel consisted of three large Georgian style buildings containing 200 rooms. The grounds once sported a swimming pool, stone bridge crossing the ravine and beautiful gardens. The hotel closed in May 1970. A few remnants of the structures and the gardens can be found on the property. There were plans to build a 35-story apartment building on the site before the City of Highland Park bought the property and made it into a public park. The City deeded the property to the Park District in 1998. Plans are now under way to create a formal sculpture park at this site."
The 4-story, 200-room hotel was listed in the 1941 HRB as Moraine-On-The-Lake Hotel. Click here for a great personal story about The Moraine by a woman who worked there.
Source: Park District of Highland Park News
White body service plate. Gold line, wide green band, gold line on rim and verge. Sign post and sign in green with The Moraine on sign.
D and photos contributed by dbstoneware
Postcard photo contributed by Cardcow