Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Mount Pleasant House
Date of corn dish: 1917
Notes: Owned by Henry Tilton and built by John Leavitt, the Mount Pleasant House was built in 1876 as a lower priced hotel that would cater to people of limited means. It was a simple three-story structure measuring 120 feet x 40 feet, yet from this modest start the Mount Pleasant House would reach international status.
The fourth great hotel built in Carroll (Bretton Woods), N.H., had an unobstructed view of the Presidential Range. The Portland & Ogdensburg RR (The Maine Central) landed passengers at the rear door, but eventually all of the Boston and New York trains made the Mount Pleasant House their terminal.
The five great hotels of Carroll were hit hard by the Depression. The enlarged Mount Pleasant House was at one time valued at $1 million; it was a large hotel with 165 rooms, a dormitory with 100 rooms, and employees' quarters with 75 rooms. Items were sold, auctions were held, and by July of 1939 the Mount Pleasant House was completely gone.
The corn dish has a white body with reddish orange and gray stripes. Intertwined MP initials in gray.
ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware