Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Mount Washington Hotel
Date of creamer: 1928 – circa 1930
Notes: Located near Mount Washington, in the town of Carroll, New Hampshire, the Mount Washington Hotel opened on July 28, 1902 with a staff of no less than 350.
New Hampshire native Joseph Stickney, who made his fortune in coal mining and the Pennsylvania Railroad, began the hotel construction in 1900. Stickney used innovative design and construction methods to build the hotel at a total cost of $1.7 million, employing 250 skilled Italian craftsmen. The superstructure of the Mount Washington Hotel had a steel network, as well as a modern power plant that lasted 50 years.
In 1944, the hotel hosted the Bretton Woods International Monetary Conference. Delegates from 44 nations convened, establishing the World Bank and International Monetary Fund, signing the formal documents in the hotel's Gold Room, located off the Hotel Lobby.
In 1955, the Mount Washington Hotel was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Morris J. Fleisher of Philadelphia, who operated the hotel for 15 seasons, until its sale to the Mount Washington Development Company in 1969.
Bretton Woods Corporation then acquired the property in 1975. Under its ownership, the hotel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and 6,400 acres of beautiful woodlands were sold to the United States government for inclusion in the White Mountain National Forest.
In 1986, the Mount Washington Hotel was declared a National Historic Landmark.
The hotel completed a remodeling project in January 2009, adding a 25,000 square foot spa and a 25,000 square foot conference center.
Lamberton China white body with pine cone and pine bough rim decoration in shades of green and brown; topmarked with the overlapping letters "MW" formed by wooden sticks or branches.