Manufacturers: Globe Pottery and Olympic Hotelware – England
User: Muirheads – Canada
Distributor for creamer: The Robert Simpson Co. – Toronto
Date of soup plate: circa 1934 – 1957
Date of creamer: unknown
Notes: From a Feb. 15, 2021, article in the Toronto Old News website, it appears that Muirheads began as a restaurant at 99 Yonge Street in Toronto, Canda, in 1918. Over the next two decades, they opened other locations in Toronto and moved existing locations so that by 1935, they had three locations, at 38-40 Adelaide Street West, 198-200 Bay Street, and 225 Yonge Street.
From an ad in the Feb. 7, 1946, edition of the Toronto Daily Star, these locations were by then referred to as cafeterias. By 1951, the Yonge Street location had moved to 67 Richmond Street West. By 1956, the Bay Street location was gone.
By 1961, the Richmond Steet West was the only one still open, and it closed sometime after 1963.
At some time during their history Muirheads had at least one location outside of Toronto at 17 East Main Street in Hamilton, Ontario as shown on a postcard in this Facebook link.
White body vitrified china soup plate with a Kelly-green band around the outer edge of the rim and a thinner yellow gold band around the top of the verge. The Muirheads logo is placed at the top of the soup plate, starting at about the midpoint of the rim and bleeding down into the verge, breaking the yellow gold band. The logo consists of a simple shield or sign with the word "Muirheads" at a slight arch over the word "Toronto." Dingbats are placed both between the two words and under the word "Toronto."
Toronto Daily Star – 1946 advertisement for Muirheads
Soup plate and other photos: Cameron Scholes
Creamer photos: Carol Cardona
Author: Ed Phillips