Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: 121st Engineers Regiment
Distributor: Dulin & Martin Washington, D.C.
Date of sample plate: Circa 1922 -1940
Notes: Organized in 1918 as the 5th Infantry Regiment, Washington, D.C., and later re-designated the 121st Engineer Regiment of the D.C. National Guard in 1922. On February 3, 1941, the regiment was inducted into the Federal Service as the 121st Engineer Battalion of the 29th Division. On June 6, 1944, the 121st Engineer Regiment was among the first American forces to land on Omaha Beach during the invasion of Normandy, suffering 50% casualties, but continuing in combat until V-E Day.
The present D.C. Armory was opened in 1941, so this china likely would have been used at the regiment's previous armory and possibly at their officers mess during summer training encampments.
White body plate with mid-rim red border lines ending in curliques at the topmark illustration of the Engineers castle logo set within a laurel wreath, with the word "Company" over the letter "F" above the castle logo and a two-part ribbon banner below with "121st" "Engineers" in red.
This is a Syracuse China production sample plate from the collection of Fishs Eddy in New York City. The plate has a Sample Sticker on the front marked Approved Sample No. 9465.
ID contributed by L Paul
Photo courtesy of Fishs Eddy, New York