Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Hotel Oregon
Distributor: Prael Hegele Co., Portland, Oregon
Date of plate: circa 1920s
Notes: The Hotel Oregon opened in Portland, Oregon in 1905 at 331 S.W. Broadway & Stark streets. In 1912, Simon Benson, a Portland lumber baron, philanthropist and visionary fulfilled his dream of building a world class hotel in Portland and opened the New Oregon Hotel next door as an annex to the Hotel Oregon. The New Oregon lost money in its first 16 months, so Benson took over the management of the Oregon Hotel and gave it his name (Hotel Benson, known as The Benson). In 1959, the old original Oregon Hotel was demolished, ironically to make way for a 175-room annex to the 1912 building.
White body; the center well is a dining colonial couple; the rim treatment has four coach carriages drawn by four horses with three Portland monuments and at the bottom the name Hotel Oregon.
Distributor information contributed by Babcock