Manufacturer: Wellsville China
User: Phillips Restaurants – West Virginia
Date of plate: circa 1959 – 1969
Notes: Phillips Restaurants, of Phillips Enterprises in West Virginia, had several eating establishments in the vicinity of Charleston during the late 1950s and 1960s. When they opened and closed is not known. However, as indicated by the matchbooks shown above, they had at least three known locations: Phillips Charleston House Restaurant, Phillips Kanawha City Restaurant, and a Phillips Restaurant at the Charleston Holiday Inn.
White body scalloped-edge plate with an airbrushed black rim. In the center left of the well is the Phillips logo which consists of a shield outlined in burgundy with a small crown on top. Within the shield there are two burgundy rampart lions holding a burgundy shield with a white Old English "P" in the center. The lions are standing on a burgundy ribbon with the word "Phillips" in a very small Old English font. Underneath the ribbon and at the bottom of the larger shield, there are a fork, knife, and spoon in burgundy.
Plate photos: Susan Phillips
ID: Charles Sovine
Author: Ed Phillips