Manufacturer: Buffalo China
User: Sagamore Hotel
Date of plate: 1929 – 1940s
Notes: Located at 111 East Avenue in Rochester, N.Y., the nine-story, 350-room Sagamore Hotel opened its doors in 1924. Designed by Gordon & Kaelber of Rochester, it was modeled after the Parc Lane Apartments in Chicago. It was headquarters of the Automobile Club of Rochester and the Rochester Council of Civic Clubs. In August of 1927, Stromberg-Carlson purchased station WHAM and moved operations to The Sagamore. The Roof Garden was popular for dinner and supper dancing.
In 1944, the hotel became a Sheraton Hotel; in 1954 it was known as the Sheraton Rochester; and by 1975 it was the One Eleven East Avenue Hotel. In 2011 it is known as 111 East Avenue Commons (rental apartments).
Larry Paul's 20th Century Hotel Research Database
Hotel Red Books
Ivory body with four concentric lines on rim with elaborate crest in well consisting of turtle shell shield, crossed war club and pipe, banner above with DAJOH GYAHDA SEY and below are the words THE SAGAMORE.
ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware