Manufacturer: Villeroy and Boch
User: The Tavern Club
Date of plate: 1990s-2000s
Notes: The Tavern Club was formed in 1927 in Chicago at 333 N. Michigan Ave. as a place for the social and business elite to enjoy alcohol despite Prohibition. At times presenting a Bohemian atmosphere, the club was later opened to women and also to African-Americans, unusual for its time. Members over the years included Edgar Miller, Frank Lloyd Wright, Carl Sandburg, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Richard Daley. In 2007, the club was closed, a victim like some other elite clubs of the recession.
White with red pinstripe at edge surrounding, logo in red centered at top reading Floreat Taberna Chicaginiensis, thinner red pinstripe inside at verge.
ID and photos contributed by matthanne1