Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery Co.
User: Travis Club – San Antonio, TX
Distributor: Albert Pick & Co.
Date of service plate: pre-1904 – circa 1915
Notes: The Travis Club of San Antonio, Texas, was a social club named after William B. Travis — the Texas Commander, who fought and died at the Battle of the Alamo on March 6, 1836. The club was established in 1886 and closed in 1916.
Designed by Harvey Lindsley Page, the Travis Club building was located on the Northwest corner of Pecan and Navarro Streets in San Antonio. Click here to view a circa 1919 historical photo of the Travis Club ground breaking ceremony. The structure later became known as the Elks Club Building after the close of the Travis Club.
The Travis Club had a private brand of cigars made by Resident Member Henry William Finck of the Finck Cigar Company circa 1909. The cigar box featured an illustration of the Travis Club building as shown above. Click here for more information about Travis Club cigars.
White body service plate has blue and rust lines on rim broken by concentric circles with Travis Club San Antonio Texas between, and an image of William B. Travis and 1911 within.
ID contributed by dbstoneware
Service plate photos contributed by Susan Phillips
Mfg & add'l ID information contributed by apPaul
Postcard image contributed by Cardcow