Manufacturer: Bauscher Brothers
User: The Vienna Bakery & Restaurant
Date of bone plate: 1909
Notes: The Vienna Bakery and Restaurant was built in 1905 in Louisville, Kentucky at 133-135 S. Fourth Street. It was first founded by Frank L. Erpeldinger, a German immigrant, in 1893 before construction of the Fourth Street location.
It was a premier dining establishment in downtown Louisville until 1927 and the building was a zenith of Art Nouveau detail with separate dining rooms for men and women. The interior and exterior of the building was covered with Rookwood tiles, terracotta, stained glass and Art Nouveau detailing, Vienna wood tables, bentwood furnishings, a beautiful bar, elegant linens and fine dinnerware. The kitchen was on the 2nd floor and the 3rd floor was the bakery.
Mr. Erpeldinger died in 1925 and the building was sold in 1927.
White body with green double pinstriping. Topmarked "The Vienna" in Art Nouveau style lettering, set against a feathery scrolling backdrop in deep & light grey tones.