Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
Distributor: Mitchell, Woodbury Co.
User: The Wellesley Inn – Wellesley, Maine
Date of examples: circa 1902 – 1924
Notes: In the fall of 1897, two Wellesley College graduates opened the Wellesley Tea Room on Washington Street. It became so popular that they needed larger quarters. The Wellesley Tea Room Corporation was formed and purchased property that contained a house that was originally built in 1860. In 1901, the Wellesley Tea Room Corporation rebuilt it as a two and one half-story clapboard inn. Part of the second floor and one dining room was used as a dorm for twenty Wellesley students. The rest of the inn was open to the public with several dining rooms and hotel bedrooms. In December 1903, a wing with the new Dutch Dining Room that featured a recessed brick fireplace opened. In 1965, a large new annex section was added.
On December 1, 1970, the 85-room Wellesley Inn became the 13th hotel managed by Treadway Inns & Resorts. The inn closed in 2005, and was torn down in 2006.
Maddock made Lamberton China crested with a green transfer illustration of a sign board hanging from a wrought iron bracket. "The Wellesley Inn" is on the sign board. There are two green pin lines near the rim on some pieces and flanking the crest on other shapes. Mitchell, Woodbury Company, of Boston, was the distributor.
Boston Sunday Post, Dec 13, 1902, page 45. -article, with photographs, about hotel
Author and photos: Larry Paul