Manufacturer: Walker China
User: Western Golf and Country Club – Redford, Michigan
Date of soup plate: 1954
Notes: On June 9, 1927, B.E. Taylor, a realtor and community builder in Redford, Michigan, opened the Western Golf and Country Club. "That same afternoon," according to the club's website, "the ladies held a bridge tea, and to complete the day, a dinner dance for members and guests offered dancing and socializing well into the night. Later in the same year, the Club received both its USA and Golf Association of Michigan Charters."
In May 1945, the B.E. Taylor Company sold the club to its members, which that year totaled 118.
On June 1, 2018, Western Golf & Country Club's clubhouse was completely destroyed by a fire. The golf course, pro shop, pool area, tennis courts, and greens barn remained unharmed. The next two years were spent rebuilding the clubhouse and it officially opened in winter 2021.
White body soup plate with a burnt orange stripe around the rim, followed by another burnt orange stripe, then a navy band, and finally another burnt orange stripe. At the top, under the stripe on the rim, is the club's burnt orange logo. This consists of crossed golf clubs with the stylized monogram of "WGCC" in front of the clubs. The monogram is surrounded by simple embellishments that look somewhat like the letter "C."
Soup plate photos and ID: Edward Babcock
Author: Ed Phillips