Manufacturer: Carr China Company
User: Westvaco Country Club
Date of examples: circa 1920s – 1930s
Notes: As was typical of large mills and industrial plants located in small, rural towns well into the 20th century, Westvaco Country Club was opened by the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Co. for its employees' – and their families' – recreation. The first mention found of the club, according to a blurb in the Covington Virginian dated June 21, 1923, was its first golf tournament that began "at 3 o'clock this afternoon."
Another article in The Daily News Leader of Staunton, Virginia, dated Aug. 3, 1926, mentioned the club in a bit more detail: "The enterprising mountain city of Covington now boasts of one of the most up-to-date country clubs in the state. … It is the splendid gift of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper company for the entertainment and comfort of its officers and men and is a liberal gift. While primarily for the millmen, it is open for other citizens of Covington at a higher rate for memberships.
"The clubhouse itself is a model of convenience and with a broad encircling veranda makes a handsome appearance. There are spacious reading rooms, assembly hall, lounge, billiard parlor, bowling alley, dining-room, cafeteria, hot and cold baths, etc. The top floor is devoted to finely appointed bedrooms – in fact the club has everything to make life there worthwhile."
Another article/advertisement in the Covington Virginian dated Aug. 10, 1929, described the club house and its location as "three stories high, of brick and steel construction … [that] makes it particularly convenient to both golf course and athletic field. The golf course is to the west of the club house and the athletic field to the east of it, so that all games and activities can be watched from the verandah of the club house, which is wide and roomy and extends entirely around the building.
"The dining-room, which will take care of forty persons at a time, is nicely furnished and conveniently reached from all parts of the club building.
"On the third floor are located twelve bedrooms for use of the employees and visitors of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company. All rooms on this floor are outside rooms, are nicely and comfortably furnished, and all are located conveniently near the showers and the baths, which are on the same floor.
"The Westvaco Country Club, including the club house, golf course and athletic field, has been constructed at a large cost, and while this club is operated at a heavy loss each year, every effort is made to have the club do everything it possibly can, regardless of expense, for the pleasure and benefit of the employees of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company, as well as all of the people of Covington."
An article in the Covington Virginian dated Sep. 9, 1961, wrote about the club house closing, though it is not clear if the golf course closed as well: "Closing Westvaco Club is Sad Note to Many Members.
"The Westvaco Golf Course will be maintained and will be open until November 1. However, the clubhouse will close its doors September 22 … members of the Westvaco Club are being urged to immediately remove personal equipment from the locker room. Shortly after closing, the building will be razed to ground level.
"The division's main wood office located in the basement of the clubhouse will continue to operate from its quarters there."
Last mention of the former Westvaco Club was Dec. 12, 1963, when the Westvaco Ladies Auxiliary met in the basement.
White body pitcher with a dark green stripe around the top and a decorative dark green stripe on the handle. On one side of the creamer is the dark green circular logo that consists of an inner circle with the monogram "WVPPCo" and an outer circle with the words "Westvaco" at the top and "Club" at the bottom.
Sources:
Covington Virginian dated June 21, 1923 – blurb about first golf tournament
The Daily News Leader of Staunton, Virginia dated Aug. 3, 1926 – story about new clubhouse
Covington Virginian dated Aug. 10, 1929 – article/advertisement about the club
Covington Virginian dated Sep. 9, 1961 – article about club's closing
Contributors:
Susan Phillips: pitcher photos and research
Ed Phillips: research and author
