Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Cumberland Hotel – New York City
Distributor: James M. Shaw & Company
Date of pitcher: circa 1904-1924
Notes: The 12-story Cumberland Hotel on the Southwest corner of Broadway and 54th Street, opened in 1904. It contained 232 rooms with 150 private baths, a dining room, and a ballroom.
By 1923 the Cumberland was part of the Manger Hotels chain, which may have replaced the original china service. In 1934 it became one of the hotels operated by American Hotels Corp. Around 1939 it was renamed Bryant. By 1997 it was renamed Ameritania, the name it continues to operate under in 2022, with 223 rooms.
Maddock Pottery created a decal-crested pattern for the Cumberland with a garter belt containing a "CH" monogram. A rampant lion wearing a crown and a unicorn flank the belt. This version of the crest is in tan, red and green. Green and red rim lines complete the design. This Lamberton china service was supplied by James M. Shaw & Co.
For additional info:
Cumberland Hotel by Maddock Pottery
Author and photos: Larry Paul