Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Curtis Hotel
Date of plate: 1951
Notes: The Curtis Hotel opened in 1903 as a residential hotel at 3rd Avenue South and 10th Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Twelve-story wings on either side were added in 1911 and 1919 to increase the room count to 800. It was considered the largest hotel in the upper Midwest. After WWII, a motor lodge, called Curtis Motor Lodge, was added to accommodate the needs of automobile drivers. The indoor tropical pool with palm trees and ferns was well-known and often featured on postcards.
Information from a 1922 Hotel Red Book ad reads:
"One whole city block of Beautiful Lobbies, Ball Rooms, Billiard and Pool Rooms, Post Office, Chocolate Shop, Tailor Shop, Physical Culture and Bath Department, Barber Shop, Beauty Parlor, Cigar and News Stands, Delicatessen, Wireless Station.
"In the Main Restaurant – A la Carte Menu at all meals. Also table d'hote noon day luncheon, 50 cents. Table d'hote dinner, one dollar.
"Special cafe dances every Saturday evening from 8 to 12 P.M. Tea Dansant Saturday afternoon from 2:30 to 5:30.
"Evening programs are rendered daily during luncheon hour on the grand pipe organ. Orchestra music daily during the evening dinner.
"The New Popular TRANSIENT HOTEL, in Minneapolis."
The hotel closed in 1984 and was imploded.
Hotel Red Book
The Lost Hotels of Minneapolis: http://www.lileks.com/mpls/hotels/curtis/index.html
White body, orange line on rim with a band of pale green broken by orange flowers. Crest consists of trees below and fleur-de-lis above. Banner above crest with Velle Bene Facere (To Wish To Do Well). The Curtis Hotel, Minneapolis below crest.
For additional info:
Curtis Hotel 2 by Maddock Pottery
ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware