Manufacturer: Tepco China
User: Danny's Coffee Shop
Date of plate: circa 1956-1958
Notes: In 1953, Harold Butler and Richard Jazak opened Danny's Donuts in Lakewood, California. In 1956, a year after Jezak's departure from the then six-store chain, Butler changed the concept, shifting it from a donut shop to a coffee shop with store #8. Danny's Donuts was renamed Danny's Coffee Shops and changed its operation to 24 hours. In 1959, to avoid confusion with Los Angeles restaurant chain Coffee Dan's, Butler changed the name from Danny's Coffee Shops to Denny's Coffee Shops. In 1961, Denny's Coffee Shops was renamed Denny's.
White body plate with a burgundy red scalloped band on the outer rim. At the top of the plate, starting on the rim under the scalloped band and running down the verge and into the well is the restaurant's logo. This consists of a drawing of a donut on top of a marquee type sign with the word "Danny's" in green block letters over the stacked words "Coffee Shop" in white block letters outlined in pinkish burgundy red. The donut and sign are also in this same red and white.
Plate photos and research: Susan Phillips
Author: Ed Phillips