Manufacturer: Hall China
User: Hotel duPont
Date of ashtray: 1930 – 1970
Notes: Commissioned by DuPont Company president Pierre S. du Pont, the Hotel DuPont opened at North Market Street and West 11th Street in Wilmington, Delaware in 1913. The 12-story grand hotel was built in the Italian Renaissance style and later was expanded in 1918 to include the Gold Ballroom, Du Barry Room, and the DuPont Theatre.
When it originally opened it was managed by the Bowman-Biltmore Company and was known as the Dupont-Biltmore. It dropped the Biltmore name after Bowman-Biltmore went bankrupt.
The hotel later was restored by the Burt Hill Group at a cost of $40 million and is currently affiliated with Preferred Hotels and Resorts. It has received the Four Star Award from the Mobil Travel Guide and is a member of the National Trust's Historic Hotels of America.
In addition to its gilded era opulent hand-craftsmanship and European style architecture, the hotel also has on display an international art collection featuring works by renowned artists including several generations of Wyeths.
Notable guests have included Eleanor Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Prince Rainier of Monaco, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Prince Bertil of Sweden, President John F. Kennedy, Eleanor Roosevelt, Henry Kissinger, Charles Lindbergh, Duke Ellington, Ingrid Bergman, Bob Hope, and Katharine Hepburn.
Blue ashtray, gilt shield consisting of flags, bird and crown, oval reading duPont. Hotel duPont, Wilmington, Delaware below shield.
ID contributed by kitschnkaboodle
Photos contributed by reddygal