Manufacturer: McNicol China
User: Hotel Gayoso
Distributor: Albert Pick Company
Date of cup and saucer: September 1939
Notes: Notes: According to the Wikipedia, "The first Gayoso House was built in Memphis, Tenn., overlooking the Mississippi in 1842. It was a first-class hotel designed by James H. Dakin, with the latest conveniences, including indoor plumbing, marble tubs, silver faucets and flush toilets. In the 1850s, an addition to the hotel doubled the rooms to 150. It burned to the ground in 1899."
From Historic Memphis Hotels, "The second Gayoso Hotel was a U-shaped structure surrounding a courtyard. The hotel was designed by James B. Cook and opened in 1902. There was an effort to return the Gayoso to its former glory, but it never quite achieved the fame of the previous hotel. Goldsmith's Department Store, which was next door to the Gayoso, bought the hotel in 1948 and used it for offices and storage. The Gayoso closed its doors in 1962. Fifty years later, it has been restored and used for downtown apartments, residences, restaurants, and offices."
White body with sprays of dark red and blue flowers with green-leafed stems. A backstamp for this pattern found in 2007 (but not shown) is the same as the one above but also includes "McNicol China" underneath the same date, hence our ability to identify this pattern as made by McNicol.