Manufacturers: Maddock Pottery and Syracuse China
User: The Highlands – Washington, D.C.
Date of examples: circa 1903-1920s
Notes: The eight-story Highlands, at the corner of Connecticut Avenue and California Street in Washington, D.C., opened October 1, 1903. It operated as an apartment building with 69 apartments. Only 17 of these apartments contained kitchens because most tenants chose to eat in the building's first floor dining room. There was also a ballroom.
In 1955, The Highlands was gutted and rebuilt into 104 efficiency and 40 one-bedroom units.
In 1977, it was converted into a hotel. By 2006, it was operating as The Churchill Hotel, and as of 2022 continues under that name.
Maddock produced the Lamberton China used in The Highlands dining room and ballroom. The coin gold crest is almost identical to the crest used by The Highland Hotel in Springfield, Massachusetts. "Highlands" is in the same lettering style, but is in a straight line, with "S" added. The flanking Scotsmen are almost identical and there are only minor variations to the scroll work. Which logo came first is unknown, but it appears on a 1910 postmarked envelope. Coin gold and light green rim lines complete this pattern. A 1904 Syracuse China Company sample plate contains this crest, which indicates that Syracuse was also a maker of this crested china. Shards from a circa 1920s Potomac River dumpsite contain green transfer examples of this crested china.
For additional info:
Highland Hotel by Maddock Pottery
The Best Addresses – A Century of Washington's Distinguished Apartment Houses, by James M. Goode, 1988, pages 47-49
The Churchill Hotel website
Author and photos: Larry Paul