Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Holland – Duluth, Minnesota
Distributor: E.F. Burg
Date of platter: circa 1910-1924
Notes: The Hotel Holland, on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Superior Street, opened June 17, 1910. When it opened it was six stories, with 150 rooms and 75 private baths. It did so well that on February 15, 1912, a four-story addition, with 100 rooms and baths, was opened. It advertised "Three Cosmopolitan Cafes." One of the dining venues was the Holland Room with nautical scenic murals above the paneled wainscoting.
In 1920, the Holland was sold to the Newcomb Hotel Company. It closed in 1961 and was demolished around 1965 as part of the Gateway Urban Renewal Project. The circular Radisson Hotel was built on the site in 1970.
Maddock produced at least two patterns for the Holland. One contains a green transfer shield crest below a green rim line. E. F. Burg was the distributor.
For additional info:
Holland Hotel 2 by Maddock Pottery
Author and photos: Larry Paul