Manufacturer: Iroquois China
User: Sample Plate
Date of plate: circa 1917 – 1940s
Notes: From Wikipedia: "Iroquois China Company was founded in 1905 in Solvay, New York, located on the western border of Syracuse near the southern shores of Onondaga Lake. It operated in Syracuse until closing. Although some references indicate that the company closed in 1969, certain designs (e.g., "Informal", "Museum White") were advertised and sold until the early-mid 1970s."
This white sample plate with a large version of the Iroquois China backstamp in the center of the well, contains 9 underglaze logos of various businesses and organizations spaced along the rim. IDs are given where known. Click on the photos for larger images.
The Dolphin: Shows an Old English letter "D" between two stylized dolphins with curly tails. These three elements are done in black and light brown. Below the dolphins are the stacked words "The Dolphin" in black block letters.
Rileys: A large green script font of the word "Rileys" on a slight slant upwards with a green ribbon coming off the end of the letter "s" and underlining the word "Rileys." Within the ribbon in white block letters are the words "The Home of Good Coffee."
The Orange Court: Shows a gray colonial-style sign with the word "The" in Old English script at the top with a long dull gold ribbon banner running in front of the signs middle containing the words "Orange Court" in Old English script. The bottom section of the sign contains a drawing of several oranges with green leaves. For additional info: The Orange Court Hotel.
Allison: A very stylized Old English script of the word "Allison" in green. The letter "A" is so stylized that it could be misinterpreted as either an "H" or even a "T." What this designer was thinking is certainly not clear.
Hotel Detroit: Shows a palm frond wreath with the words "Hotel Detroit on Tampa Bay" within and a banner below the wreath has the words "St. Petersburg, Florida" on it. For additional info: Detroit Hotel. The original building opened in 1888.
Putnam Inn: Shows an overhanging sign on a wooden post and chained support beam. The hanging sign contains the stacked words "Putnam Inn" in block letters. There is a slightly arched ribbon that runs from the left side of the wooden post and contains the word "DeLand." Although the ribbon is broken to the left of the hanging sign, it continues to the right and contains the word "Florida." All of this drawing is done in various shades of green. Click here for an article on the Inn's history. The Putnam Inn opened in 1923.
W: Shows an extremely stylized letter "W" inside a simple wreath of tulips with a small bow at the base. The stylized "W" has three flower stamens protruding from the center and the base. All elements are in a deep green.
AbandonedFlorida.com – history of the Putnam Inn
For additional info:
Iroquois Sample Plate 2 by Iroquois China
Ephemera: Christopher Riggs
Content: Susan and Ed Phillips