Manufacturer: Shenango China
User: Julia King's Tea Rooms and Candies
Date of bowl: circa 1930s-1948
Notes: Julia King Perkins opened her Tea Rooms and Candies establishments in Chicago, Illinois, most likely in the early 1920's. In all, she had three locations: 118 N. Dearborn Street, 111 South Clark Street, and 129 South Wabash Avenue.
Julia King (shown at left in the Feb. 26, 1928 Chicago Tribune) had four sisters, and one of her sisters founded the Fannie May candy stores. Julia King died in December 1928, and in 1930, Al B. Carder bought the restaurant portion of the business and changed the name to Carder's. In one of the photos above you can see a sample plate made for the renamed restaurants in 1947; however, whoever printed the information on the back misspelled Carder's as Calder's. Based on the backstamp decal of the bowl, it is likely that it was made for Carder's as well and that a version of the pattern within the timeframe of the business has yet to appear.
White body bowl with a lime green thick line around the outer edge of the border. At the top of the bowl and just inside the verge is the silhouette of a woman's head in black. She is wearing a white flapper hat. The silhouette is encircled by a black line and the circle is filled with the same lime green that is around the edge.
For more info:
Carder's by Shenango China
ID and ephemera contributed by Roland S. Burritt
Shenango bowl photos contributed by Kathleen Perrin
Carder's plate photos contributed by Steven Koska