Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Lido Club Hotel – Long Beach, Long Island, New York
Distributor: Nathan Straus & Sons
Date of examples: circa 1928-1930s
Notes: On September 4, 1926, the cornerstone for the Lido Club Hotel was laid by William J. Reynolds (1868 – 1931). Mr. Reynolds was an entrepreneur, promoter, and builder who created Coney Island's Dreamland amusement park. In 1906, at age 39, he began the resort community of Long Beach. The Lido was his ultimate fantasy. This six-story, 400-room Moorish-style pink stucco hotel opened June 1928. It contained a 1,000-seat dining room with a retractable domed roof that could open in warm weather. Mr. Reynolds died in 1931, but his $5 million, twin turreted hotel became a haven for socialites and celebrities. During WWII the US Navy used the hotel as an amphibious training base and discharge center. In 1946, it became temporary housing for the 600 delegates and staff member of the United Nations. In April 1947, The Lido was reopened as a hotel. In 1981, the hotel closed and was converted into a 184-unit condo and renamed Lido Beach Towers. In 2012, Hurricane Sandy severely damaged the building. It has since undergone a $15 million restoration.
There are two known patterns that were made for the Lido Club Hotel.
Scammell made Lamberton China with a crest that features the twin dome-topped towers in black with "Lido" in coin gold script. The coin gold border has a black Greek Key band. Plates have the crest but other pieces contain only the Greek Key border. This china is back stamped "Nathan Straus – Duparquet" which means it was made on, or after, 1936.
PreservationInPink.wordpress.com – July 1, 2009 article about hotel history, with photos of soup bowl
Stocorp.com – information about restoration of exterior
New York Times – July 14, 1996, Oct 17, 2004, and Nov.22,2012 -articles about hotel and storm damage
For additional info:
Lido Club Hotel 2 by Scammell China and Royal Schwarzburg
Author and photos: Larry Paul