Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Hotel Peabody
Date of bowl: circa 1931-1954
Notes: Located at the corner of Main and Monroe streets in Memphis, Tenn., the original Peabody Hotel was built by Robert Campbell Brinkley in 1869. Brinkley named his hotel "The Peabody" in honor of entrepreneur and philanthropist George Peabody, who had contributed much to the South. Despite its success, the original Peabody Hotel closed in 1923. The current Peabody Hotel building on Union Avenue was built in 1925 to replace the original. Designed by Chicago architect Walter W. Ahlschlager, the Italian Renaissance building holds historical significance and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. By the early 1970s, the Peabody had closed again due to urban blight.
In 1975, the Jack Belz family purchased the hotel from the county for $400,000. The Belz family spent the next several years and $25 million to renovate the landmark structure and the hotel reopened in 1981. Similar Peabody Hotels are operated by the Peabody Hotel Group in Little Rock, Arkansas and Orlando, Florida.
The Peabody is probably best known around the world for a custom dating back to the 1930s. The General Manager of the time, Frank Schutt, had just returned from a weekend hunting trip in Arkansas. He and his friends found it amusing to leave their live decoy ducks in the hotel fountain. The guests loved the idea, and since then, ducks have played in the fountain every day. Over the years, The Peabody Ducks have gained celebrity status with television appearances, along with their Duckmasters. (Source: Wikipedia)
Click here for more history about the hotel.
Lamberton China white body, footed open sugar with a teal green band and brown scrolled border, on top of a centered blue flowered wreath and draping dark pink flowers.