Manufacturer: Shenango China and Mayer China
User: Peter Pan Snack Shops
Date of Shenango: 1954 – 1956
Date of Mayer: 1960
Mayer border pattern name: Juniper
Notes: Notes: According to ChicagoTonight, the first Peter Pan Snack Shops opened in Chicago somewhere between 1942 and 1945 (depending on source) in the Edgewater neighborhood. The owner was Chris Carson, and he began the chain of what was to be seven or eight restaurants in the Chicago area.
Ads for the restaurants touted them as the place "Where Happy People Meet to Eat."
Carson sold the business to Mid-West Drive-In Theatres, Inc. in 1952 or 1953 (again, depending on source). Based in Boston, Mid-West expanded its business to drive-in restaurants by 1960 and built the existing chain to 18 stores, including locations in Detroit and Boston. At that time it had changed names to General Drive-In.
In 1961, however, Drive-In's founder Phil Smith died, and his son-in-law, who was also involved in the business, died as well. Without their leadership, within a few years the restaurants had been sold so the company could concentrate on its movie theaters.
Shenango: The white plate with green line on the rim has an illustration of the red-haired, freckled, single-toothed, smiling and dancing Peter Pan, wearing a green elf outfit and white chef's hat or toque covering one eye or the same basic image but with three of the grinning, dancing elves.
Walker: The white plate with green line on the rim has an illustration of the red-haired, freckled, single-toothed, smiling and dancing Peter Pan, wearing a green elf outfit and white chef's hat or toque covering one eye.
For related info:
Peter Pan Snack Shops 2 by Shenango China and Walker China