Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery Co.
User: Planter's Hotel – St. Louis, MO
Date of plate: pre-1917
Notes: This plate would have been used at the third incarnation of the Planter's Hotel built in St. Louis, Missouri. The first Planter's Hotel opened at 4th and Chestnut in 1817, the second hotel was located at 4th and Pine, 1837-1891.
The third, 400-room, ten-story Planter's Hotel was built in 1894. This hotel closed in 1922, was converted to office space and later renamed the Cotton Belt Building in 1930. It was headquarters for the Cotton Belt RR until the mid-1950s. It was razed in 1976.
Click here for more information about the Planter's Hotel history by David A. Lossos.
Lamberton China white body with a dark green scrolling floral and leaf border; topmarked with the Planter's Hotel crest in dark green and red with two griffons flanking a shield with intertwined initials "PH", a helmet on top and a banner beneath that reads: Planters Hotel. According to Larry Paul's 20th Century Hotel Research Database, this was custom pattern design #6035 produced by the Maddock Pottery Co. pre-1917.
For related info:
Planter's Hotel – St. Louis, MO by John Maddock & Sons Ltd.
Photos contributed by itsagas