Manufacturer: John Maddock & Sons Ltd.
User: Planter's Hotel – St. Louis, MO
Date of plate: 1901 – 1910
Notes: This plate would have been used at the third incarnation of the Planter's Hotel built in St. Louis, Missouri. The first Planter's Hotel opened at 4th and Chestnut in 1817, the second hotel was located at 4th and Pine, 1837-1891.
The third, 400-room, ten-story Planter's House Hotel was built in 1894. This hotel closed in 1922, was converted to office space and later renamed the Cotton Belt Building in 1930. It was headquarters for the Cotton Belt RR until the mid-1950s. It was razed in 1976.
Click here for more Planter's Hotel history by David A. Lossos.
White body with a dark green scrolling floral and leaf border; topmarked with the Planter's Hotel crest featuring two griffons flanking a shield with intertwined initials, a helmet on top and a banner beneath that reads: Planters Hotel.
For related info:
Planter's Hotel – St. Louis, MO 2 by Maddock Pottery Co.