Manufacturer: John Maddock & Sons Ltd.
User: Planters House Hotel – St. Louis, Missouri
Date of plate: 1901 – 1910
Notes: In wading through the history of these three hotel buildings, the actual name of the hotels changes by account and location within St. Louis from Planters House, to Planters Hotel, to Planters House Hotel. For continuity – and we think accuracy – we're referring to all three as Planters House Hotel.
This plate would have been used at the third incarnation of the Planters House Hotel built in St. Louis, Missouri. The first Planters House Hotel opened at 4th and Chestnut in 1817, the second hotel was located at 4th and Pine, 1837-1891.
The third, 400-room, ten-story Planters House Hotel was built in 1894. This hotel closed in 1922, was converted to office space and later renamed the Cotton Belt Building in 1930. It was headquarters for the Cotton Belt RR until the mid-1950s. It was razed in 1976.
Click here for more Planters House Hotel history by David A. Lossos.
White body with a dark green scrolling floral and leaf border; topmarked with the Planters House Hotel crest featuring two griffons flanking a shield with intertwined initials, a helmet on top and a banner beneath that reads: Planters Hotel.