Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Terre Haute House
Date of examples: 1926 and 1930
Notes: The Terre Haute House was located at 7th and Wabash streets in downtown Terre Haute, Indiana. The hotel opened in 1927. It was a nine-story, 150-room hotel known for its famous Mayflower room.
Originally started as The Prairie House, several blocks east of the village of Terre Haute, Indiana, Chauncey Rose built and operated the hotel from 1838 – 1841. He reopened the hotel in 1849 and in 1855 added a fourth floor to it, renaming it The Terre Haute House.
Chauncey tired of the hotel business and in 1866 sold it to the Terre Haute Hotel Co., which was made up of local business men. There were two more ownerships in the 1870s. In 1888, Charles Baur acquired the hotel from the Estate of William Tuell in March of that year.
"Eventually, Crawford Fairbanks purchased the hotel and promised to demolish the existing structure and build a new hotel on the site. It would be left to his heirs, however, to see this promise through to it completion. Following the demolition of the old hotel, work began on a larger and grander hotel, which opened July 2, 1928. Located at Wabash Avenue & 7th Street in Terre Haute, IN; the 10-story, 250 room hotel, became the social center of Terre Haute."
In the 1930s and 1940s, it was the home to the Mayflower Room for banquets and dancing, the Marine Room for cocktails, and the Pastel Dining Room.
Click here for more information about the Terre Haute House. The hotel closed in 1970, with many attempts to revive it. It was torn down in 2006.
For related info:
Terre Haute House 2 by Iroquois China
White body with a logo of black and green with an HTH in a circle.
ID, plate photos and hotel image contributed by dbstoneware